Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Sandwich Pilgrimages Vol. 1: Primanti Brothers - Pittsburgh, PA



Alright, I've decided to start a new feature on the old SSTF blog: Sandwich Pilgrimages. Up until now, all my posts have consisted of reviews of various sandwiches I've consumed at different places. In the Sandwich Pilgrimages feature, I will spotlight a famous/historic/legendary sandwich establishment that I have yet to visit; a place that I've read about or seen a feature on that looks so incredible that a sandwich-enthusiast such as myself simply must make a voyage to and experience at some point. The first such place I've selected is Primanti Brothers, a sandwich-making institution in Pittsburgh, PA. I first saw this place on an old TV special that counted down the Top 10 places in the US to get a sandwich. I don't remember where Primanti Brothers placed, I just remember being awed at the sight of the beautiful monstrosities they create there. Here is a more recent clip where Adam Richman pays a visit on his show Man V. Food:



If you don't have time to watch the clip, the summary is this: Primanti Brothers takes the meat of your choice, piles it on some fresh Italian bread that looks soft and heavenly, adds some cheese and then a heaping handful of french fries and some coleslaw for good measure. That's right: sandwich + fries. That is a formula for success and I hope to someday test is out for myself.

No comments: